Knee pain can put you in a terrific situation as it literally interferes with most of your daily activities. It can occur due to various reasons, for example, overuse of the knees, injuries, arthritis, inflammation, etc. However, the good news is that it can be treated at home and in this article we will tell you how. Keep reading to know the best way to get rid of knee pain easily and quickly.
Top 6 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Knee Pain
Here are some of the best natural remedies that you can use to eliminate your knee pain and get back to your normal life.
1. Maintain Your Weight
People who are overweight and suffering from obesity are at higher risk of experiencing knee pain. That’s mainly because excessive body weight puts more pressure on the knee joint, which makes them work harder to support body weight.
Therefore, if you are overweight, strive to manage your weight. It will help remove the extra strain from your knees and allow them to move freely.
2. Try Cold And Heat Therapy
Cold and heat therapy is considered effective in reducing joint pain. Both have their benefits, and you can choose any of them that suits you best.
For cold therapy, you can wrap some ice in a thin towel and place it on your hurting knee. It will significantly relieve your knee pain by increasing the blood flow in that area. You can use cold therapy to treat swelling or bruising, inflammation, pain, or soreness in the knee.
For heat therapy, you can use heat packs or heating pads. They are easy to use and can provide you with significant relief from joint pain. You can also use the moist heat, which includes: steam towels, hot water bottles and hot baths.
Heat will allow more oxygen circulation in that area and make it easy for the nutrients to reach your knees. It will also help loosen the tight joints and muscles and assist in relieving the overall pain.
3. Use The Rice Method
Rice basically stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. Here’s how this method will help you in curing your knee pain.
- Rest – Allowing your knees to rest can help reduce the stress on them. So, get off your knees, limit your physical activities, and sit or lie down in a comfortable position. You can also opt for some stretching exercises to manage the pain more effectively.
- Ice – Using ice on your hurting knee can significantly benefit your knee pain as it increases the blood flow in that area. It’s recommended to use ice for 20 minutes at a time 4-8 times daily. If you do not have ice, you can use frozen vegetables like peas.
- Compression – Compression around the area of hurting knee can help increase the blood flow and reduce mobility, which ultimately helps ease the pain.
- Elevation – Elevating your hurting knee 6 to 10 inches above your heart helps in reducing inflammation and improving blood flow in your knee.
4. Try Ginger Extract
If an individual is suffering from arthritis pain, then the consumption of ginger extract along with other prescribed medicine can be helpful, studies suggest.
You can consume ginger in many ways and reap its full benefits; for instance, take ginger supplements, drink ginger tea, or use ginger roots and add them to your dishs.
5. Do Some Exercise
Dr. Lauren Elson, an instructor in medicine and rehabilitation at Harvard Medical School, says that exercise is one of the best things you can do to cure knee pain. Many people think that resting is the key to relieving any pain. It may help in limiting the pain, but there’s also a risk involved, for example, too much resting may increase stiffness in the joint and slow down the recovery.
Note – Rest is necessary if the pain is extreme and caused by an injury or shows a flare-up of systems.
Hence, if you are suffering from knee pain, doing the right combination of stretching and strengthening exercises can help relieve the pain by improving the overall function of the joints. Here are some of the low-impact exercises that you can do to help your knee pain
- Swimming or water exercise
- Yoga or Tai Chi
6. Give Your Knees a Gentle Massage
What is the best way to get rid of knee pain? Simply begin to massage your joints.
Put firm pressure on your knees and the surrounding area. It will increase the blood flow, reduce inflammation, and help relieve overall inflammation.
It is recommended to use the essential oil for the massage to get the best result. There are many essential oils that you can use, but ginger and orange oils are known to be the finest to treat knee pain, according to studies.
A Few Tips To Prevent The Knee Pain
If you frequently find yourself suffering from knee pain, there are a few prevention tips that you can use, which includes the following:
- Always Wear Supportive Footwear – You should avoid wearing soft and cushiony footwear as they do nothing to support the knee and other parts like the ankle, hips, and lower back. Try wearing solid footwear that provides proper support to the lower body parts as it will lower the risk of knee pain.
- Always Drink Enough Water – Drinking enough water may not help you cure your knee pain, but it can definitely prevent it. Hence, ensure that you always stay properly hydrated. It will reduce inflammation, promote the production of synovial fluid, and assist in maintaining the cartilage shock absorbing properties.
- Make Your Thighs Strong – Having strong thighs helps reduce the overall load that your knees have to bear. Thus, it is essential for you to have strong thighs to prevent knee pain, especially if you are a runner.
- Always Warm Up Before You Exercise – Before you indulge in any physical activity, always do the warm-up. It will help in relieving the overall pressure on the knees and prevent the injury.
- Sleep With a Pillow Between Your Legs – If you prefer sleeping on the side, try placing a pillow between your legs. It will reduce the weight placed on your knee by the upper leg. And, if you like sleeping on your back, place a pillow under your knees; it will reduce the strain on your knees and provide them with more comfort. Try opting for a pillow that is specifically designed for legs and knees to get the best benefits from this practice.
What To Do If The Knee Pain Is Still There?
If you have tried all the natural remedies we mentioned above but see no improvement in your knee pain. Chances are that the condition is severe and requires immediate professional medical treatment.
Visit your doctor promptly to get the proper treatment before the condition gets worse. They will help you diagnose what exactly is causing the knee pain and offer you an optimal treatment to heal it. Your doctor will probably run a physical examination and may also do some other tests like an X-ray or blood tests.
So, that was all you needed to know about the best way to get rid of knee pain. In general, It is considered a common health condition, which can easily be treated using the methods mentioned above. You can use any of the natural remedies that provide you with most relief.
However, please know that if the knee pain is extreme, caused by an injury or persists for more than one week, visit a medical professional as soon as possible to get the best treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is It Good To Walk With Knee Pain?
If your knee pain is mild, walking can help lubricate your joints and speed up the recovery.
2. Which Fruit Is Good For The Knees?
According to the sources, Citrus fruits like oranges are the best to consume to relieve joint pain.
3. Can Knee Pain Heal In 3 Days?
Yes, normal knee pain generally gets cured within 3-7 days on its own. But, if the condition is severe, it may take longer to heal fully.