An unfortunate car crash can impact every aspect of your life. If you are seriously hurt in a car crash in Washington, you may have to spend weeks at home and away from work, and the medical bills and other losses will only add to the woes. When another driver is responsible for your losses, you should seek immediate help from a car insurance attorney. You typically start with a third-party claim, but you can file a direct lawsuit if negotiations don’t move as expected. According to the statute of limitations in Washington, you have three years to file a car accident lawsuit in the civil court.
Below are the steps you must take soon after the accident –
- Call local police. Inform the local law enforcement, regardless of what everybody else tells you. An investigating officer will come to the scene and file an accident report, which you need for your lawsuit.
- Collect information from other parties involved in the accident, including address, contact details, and insurance info. You can also check for witnesses and get their numbers.
- Capture as many pictures as possible, especially if you are okay and are waiting at the site. From your injuries to damaged vehicles and road conditions, the more details you can cover on your phone, the more material your attorney will have.
- If someone is seriously hurt and in need of emergency medical assistance, call 911. If that isn’t necessary, see a doctor as soon as possible. Follow your doctor’s advice at all times, and if they advise you against going to work, listen to them.
- Get an attorney. You need legal help after an accident, primarily because negotiating the settlement with the other party or their insurer can be challenging. More importantly, if the matter goes to court, you need legal representation to present evidence and facts appropriately.
Cost of hiring an injury lawyer in Washington
Law firms in Washington that take up injury claims and lawsuits usually have a contingency arrangement where the client pays a share of the settlement as the final fee. If you win, your lawyer can take the decided percentage, which could be 25% to 50%, depending on the facts and complications of the case. You have more reasons to get legal help because it doesn’t immediately cost a fortune.
Keep your medical bills and other details handy for your lawyer.