Horse racing is one of the oldest sports in the book for betting purposes. That said, it is just as famous today, and for a good reason! There’s nothing quite like the thrill of watching the horses rushing down the track with your horse in the lead. Let’s see about betting in horse racing: the ultimate beginners guide.
Excited fans, flying dirt, premium breed horses—does all that sound super exciting to you? If so, you may want to go through this guide to know just what to do at the track.
Even if you’re already a pro bettor, it could never hurt to brush up on those skills! So read on to more about betting in horse racing.
Most Popular Horse Racing Betting Tactics
Many people choose horse astropay betting sites. There is more than one way to bet in horse racing. So naturally, if you don’t know what they are, you will not rake in profits.
MightyTips has put together a list of favored bets in horse racing to make things that much simpler for you!
Let’s start with the most straightforward and standard bet in the book. In this bet, all you need to do is place a wager on which horse will be the race winner. You will only win this bet if the horse you pick completes the race in pole positions.
A place bet is when you wager on a horse, either winning a race or coming second. So, this bet gives gamblers a bit of a safety blanket, which is particularly handy for first-time bettors.
Think about it; there’s nothing worse than seeing your horse in the lead position throughout only to slip up at the last obstacle. In this case, a place bet still gives you a payout, unlike the win bet.
A show bet is not too different from a place bet. However, here you have the added security of wagering for a spot in the top three.
Across The Board
This bet is an interesting one because it is a combination of three wagers in one! Yes, the Across The Board bet is a blend of win, place, and show. So how does this work?
Well, a horse can only finish in one place, and that determines your payout. If it comes in the first position, you will win the amount of all three bets. However, if it places second, you win the place and show wagers only.
In an exotic bet, you essentially wager on multiple results at the same time. Or, in simple terms, it means you place bets on several horses at a time. What’s more, there is more than one kind of exotic bet. So naturally, each bet has its parameters and conditions.
Unless you meet the same, you will not be able to take home the payout. Here is an overview of the different exotic benefits:
- Quinella: Here, you bet on two horses racing together to come in first or second place. It is of no concern which horse places first and which places second. However, both must rank in the top two positions.
- Exacta: This one works along the same lines as the quinella bet with one difference. In the exacta bet, the placement of the horses does matter. So the only way you can win this wager is if your horses finish in the exact order you pick.
- Trifecta: The trifecta bet also shares similarities with the previous two wagers. However, here you will be picking the top three horses instead of the top two. Your horses need to complete the race in the same order you choose for you to win.
- Superfecta: Again, this one is not too different from the others. Except, here you’ll be choosing the top four horses in the race. Once again, they must finish in the same order you decide for you to receive any payout.
- Daily Double: The daily double bet is one you cannot play at any time of the day at most tracks. Typically, bookies only accept these wagers for either the first or last two races each day. That said, there are a handful of parks that provide rolling-daily doubles throughout the day.
The bet itself is pretty straightforward. All you need to do is select the winning horse for two back-to-back races.
- Pick Three: This bet is nearly the same as the daily double. However, the one exception to it is that you choose the winner for three consecutive races instead. Much like with the former, several tracks provide rolling pick threes, which is always a plus.
- Wheel Betting: Wheel betting is a combination of a few of the wagers mentioned above. For instance, say you think #9 will win the race. You also feel that one between #3 and #7 will place second, but you’re not sure which one.
In this situation, you may place a wheel bet for an exacta. As long as either #3 or #7 gets second place and #9 comes first, you take home the payout.
Quick Tips For Betting On Horse Racing
Now that you know what bets you can place let’s talk about what you should do before placing them. Here are a few handy tips:
- Research the jockey history.
- Analyze the horse’s history.
- Check the condition of the tracks.
- Develop an efficient bankroll management system.
- Find multiple horses to bet on in a race.
So now you know all the basics to help you place that first bet in the arena of horse racing. What’s more, with online racebooks, you can do this from the comfort of your own home! We do have one last tip for you, though, and that is to start small. Instead of throwing out massive wagers, take some to develop a winning system.
Whether you do that by keeping an eye on winners or using a mathematical strategy is entirely up to you. Remember, refining your process, whether you’re a pro bettor or a beginner, can only help!