So, if you are planning to have some drinks with your friends or family members, it is crucial to know beforehand how much alcohol it takes to make you drunk. It will help you set limits during the drinking session, prevent the occurrence of dangerous consequences, and allow you to enjoy alcohol fully. And this article will help you exactly with that. Here, we will cover numerous topics like how many shots to get drunk, types of alcohol, some helpful tips, and more. Keep reading to learn.
How Many Shots To Get Drunk?
In general, it takes between 4-5 shots to get drunk for an average person. However, know that the exact number of shots can vary from person to person as every individual has different tolerance levels.
Not only that, but many other factors also influence how many shots it will take for an individual to feel drunk, which include the following:
- Metabolic Rate – Anyone with a high level of metabolic rate will be able to metabolize alcohol much faster, which will make them less tolerant toward the alcohol. On the other hand, individuals with a low metabolic rate will have a high tolerance for alcohol.
- Genetics – Yes, your genetics also plays a crucial role in determining how much alcohol you can tolerate.
- Food Consumption – If you consume food before one hour or while drinking, chances are that you will be less affected by alcohol as your stomach will absorb it slowly. Whereas, if you drink on an empty stomach, alcohol will affect you intensely and quickly (more on this later).
- Gender – Females tend to get drunk faster than men because they have less enzymes that are required to metabolize alcohol. Alcohol also remains longer in a woman’s bloodstream.
- Medications – If you take any medicine that may interact with alcohol, then you may experience rapid intoxication.
- Body Weight – People with higher weight are known to get less affected by alcohol. Whereas, people with lower body weight get drunk faster because alcohol gets less space to spread out in their body, which makes the concentration higher.
Different Types Of Alcohol
How many shots to get drunk also depends on the type of alcohol that you are drinking. Here are some of the most popular types of alcohol that you should know about:
- Vodka – The alcoholic strength of vodka is known to be higher – contains around 40% alcohol by volume (ABV). For anyone to get drunk on vodka, it usually takes between three to five shots.
- Tequila – Tequila contains more than 40% ABV, and it is the best choice for anyone wanting to feel drunk promptly, according to the sources. It will usually take around 2-3 shots of Tequila for an individual to get drunk. More than that can lead to extreme drunkenness.
- Rum – Rum is known to be a hard liquor, which is generally made from fermented molasses or sugarcane. Its ABV percentage is typically between 36% to 50%. About 4-6 shots of rum are enough to make you drunk.
- Whiskey – Whiskey has an ABV of around 40% to 50%, and its four to five shots can easily intoxicate a person with average weight.
- Gin – Gin is another alcoholic drink that can make you drunk faster. Just like rum, this drink contains the ABV between 36% and 50%. If you are planning to drink Gin, expect to feel drunk after 3-4 neat shots.
- Beer & Malt – The ABV percentage of Beer & Malt lies between 4-8 percent. It will take around 4-5 bottles of beer for an individual to get intoxicated.
Can Drinking On an Empty Stomach Make You Drunk Faster?
Yes, if you drink alcohol on an empty stomach, there’s a very high likelihood that you will get drunk much faster. That is mainly because your stomach is not busy digesting food matter so the alcohol directly passes into your bloodstream.
Hence, drinking on an empty stomach will intoxicate you rapidly and may also intensify the effects of alcohol like inadequate thinking, mood swings, vomiting, migraines, vertigo, etc.
It may also lead to some extreme health issues that can result in symptoms like slow breathing, loss of consciousness, not being able to move, mental health problems, etc. If you experience any of these signs, ensure to reach out to your doctor as soon as possible to prevent the worsening of the condition.
Besides that, always try to eat something before or during the drinking session. It will help your body absorb alcohol slowly and prevent you from feeling drunk too quickly.
How Do You Know If You Are Already Intoxicated?
It is quite easy for you to know if you are already drunk. Some of the most common signs of intoxication that you will notice in yourself are stumbling, swaying, lack of coordination, poor judgment, or sometimes vision problems.
If you drink alcohol more than your capacity, then you are likely to experience some severe signs like slow breathing, heartbeat, loss of balance, or drowsiness.
As soon as you notice that you are drunk, make sure to limit the alcohol at the right time to avoid any further problems.
A Few Tips To Keep In Mind
If you drink too much alcohol, there’s a high probability that you may experience some trouble, for instance, embarrassment, accidents, health problems, etc. However, by following the tips mentioned below, you can prevent yourself from getting into problems and enjoy alcohol safely.
- Keep Yourself Hydrated – Always drink water or any other non-alcoholic beverage to not get intensely affected by alcohol.
- Always Count Your Drinks – Firstly, always have a limit to your alcohol consumption and stick to it – no matter what. And, while you are drinking, make sure to count it to reduce your overall alcohol intake. It is one of the simplest yet most effective ways to stay aware of how much alcohol you are drinking.
- Eat Before or While You are Drinking – As mentioned above, drinking on an empty stomach can make you drunk faster and may cause severe consequences. Hence, ensure that you have eaten something already or arrange some food to eat during the drinking session.
- Plan – If you are planning to go out for drinking, it is advised to have someone along with you to drive back home. Or, try looking for alternative transportation to ensure your and others’ safety.
- Don’t Ignore Your Gut Feelings – While you are out partying and feel uncomfortable or something isn’t right, never ignore these feelings. Act on them and ensure your safety, or find someone you trust.
So, usually, an individual can start to feel drunk after taking 4 to 5 shots of an alcoholic drink. But, there are also many factors like weight, biological sex, genetics, food content in the stomach, and the type of alcohol, etc. that will influence when you will get intoxicated.
Always make sure that you drink safely and do not exceed your limits. Excess consumption of alcohol won’t do any good but will only make the condition worse. Use the safety tips mentioned above to avoid the harmful effects of drinking alcohol and enjoy it properly.
So, now we hope that you have got your answer to your question of how many shots to get drunk.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Are 7 shots of vodka a lot?
Yes. Seven or more shots of vodka can make you extremely drunk.
2. Does One Beer Equal One Shot?
According to Your Beer Friend, one beer has the same amount of alcohol compared to one shot. Thus, it can be said that one regular beer equals one shot.
3. What Is The Healthiest Alcohol?
There are plenty of alcohols that are considered healthy. However, Red Wine remains at the top of the list of healthiest alcohol, according to the list published by BBC Good Food.